Wednesday 4 December 2013

Culture and Race

For my Second look to do with diversity I will be using a model who is mixed race. The model I am using is from Trinidad and Tobago and is also half German. For my models look I had the idea of looking at how darker and mixed race people who are either in the fashion industry or are famous all seem to lighten there skin or have there skin lightened by publications such as magazines etc to make them look lighter and more westernised. I will also be taking into account where my model is from making this more personalised looking at the carnival Trinidad and Tobago have every year using colours from this as inspiration and also inspiration from 1920s Berlin abstract art. 























The lack of racial diversity in the fashion industry is a serious issue that needs to be tackled, according to supermodels Naomi Campbell and Iman, who this month launched a campaign to raise awareness of racism in the industry.
"The absence of people of color on the runways and photography reinforces to our young girls that they're not beautiful enough, that they're not acceptable enough," said Iman, model and wife of David Bowie, to CNN.
info sourced from: http://edition.cnn.com/2013/09/17/living/models-runway-race/


Trinidad and Tobago Carnival





No comments:

Post a Comment